Your local Bike Shop
Selling fun since 1982
Your Local Bike Shop
Selling Fun for 25 Years
Trek Fuel EX 9.8 (2020) Miami Green to Teal Fade
Fuel EX 9.8 is the carbon trail bike that can fly through singletrack, throw down with the rowdy trail crew and crush miles during marathon races. A lightweight full OCLV Mountain Carbon frame, 1x12 SRAM GX Eagle drive train, carbon wheels and FOX Perform
Fuel EX 9.8 is the carbon trail bike that can fly through singletrack, throw down with the rowdy trail crew and crush miles during marathon races. A lightweight full OCLV Mountain Carbon frame, 1x12 SRAM GX Eagle drive train, carbon wheels and FOX Performance Float suspension with Trek's exclusive RE:aktiv with Thru Shaft shock make it the perfect choice for all-mountain shredders who want a single bike that does it all.
It's right for you if...
You like going fast, getting rowdy and clearing every obstacle on the first try. You want a single bike that can handle any trail, with high-quality parts, a carbon frame and dialled suspension for everything from burly technical descents to single track and even endurance races.
The tech you get
A light and stiff full OCLV Mountain Carbon frame, 140 mm FOX Performance 36 Float fork, 130 mm of rear travel with a FOX Performance Float shock featuring Trek's exclusive RE:aktiv with Thru Shaft and a 1x12 SRAM GX Eagle drive train. Plus, powerful Shimano SLX 4-piston hydraulic disc brakes, Tubeless Ready Bontrager Line Carbon 30 wheels with a 54-tooth Rapid Drive rear hub for quick engagement, a Bontrager Line Elite dropper post and a Bontrager Line Pro OCLV Carbon handlebar. An internal storage compartment and Control Freak cable routing add to the bike's capability and sleek look.
The final word
Fuel EX 9.8 is the definitive mountain bike, and a great choice if you're going to invest in a single bike for all kinds of terrain. A full carbon frame, quality parts build and advanced suspension make it an outstanding all-around mountain bike for endurance racing and ripping every kind of trail.
Why you'll love it
- This bike is light, fast and capable of shredding any kind of trail whether you’re heading out for an afternoon session or miles of endurance riding
- RE:aktiv with Thru Shaft works faster than a normal shock, so it tracks the ground better and keeps you in control
- A sleek internal storage compartment gives you a versatile spot to stow tools and gear
- We expanded our size range to ensure a better fit for all riders. And, you get the fastest wheel that fits your frame: XS frames get 27.5˝ wheels, S frames get to choose between 27.5˝ or 29˝, and sizes M to XL get 29˝ wheels
- Make it yours: it's customisable through Project One
Will my bike have a curved top tube?
Smaller frames (XS and S) have a top tube that dips down as it approaches the seat tube. This design makes for a lower standover height, which is good for shorter riders because it allows them to straddle their bike more easily. Larger frames (M and up) have a straight top tube because taller riders with longer legs typically don’t have the same issues with standover height.
- OCLV Mountain Carbon main frame and stays, BITS internal storage, tapered head tube, Knock Block, Control Freak internal routing, Carbon Armor, ISCG 05, magnesium rocker link, Mino Link, ABP, Boost148, 130 mm travel
- Fox Performance 36, Float EVOL air spring, GRIP damper, tapered steerer, 44 mm offset, Boost110, 15 mm Kabolt axle, 140 mm travel
- Rear suspension
- Fox Performance Float EVOL, RE:aktiv with Thru Shaft 3-position damper, tuned by Trek Suspension Lab, 210x55 mm
- Bontrager Line Carbon 30, Tubeless Ready, 6-bolt, Boost110 front, Boost148 rear
- Bontrager XR4 Team Issue, Tubeless Ready, Inner Strength sidewalls, aramid bead, 120 tpi, 29x2.60"
- SRAM GX Eagle, 12-speed
- Rear derailleur
- SRAM GX Eagle
- Truvativ Descendant 7k Eagle, DUB, 32 T alloy ring, Boost
- Bottom bracket
- SRAM DUB, 92 mm, PressFit
- SRAM XG-1275 Eagle, 10-50, 12-speed
- SRAM GX Eagle, 12-speed
- Bontrager Arvada, austenite rails
- Bontrager Line Elite Dropper, 170 mm travel, internal routing, 31.6 mm
- Bontrager Line Pro, OCLV Carbon, 35 mm, 27.5 mm rise
- Bontrager XR Trail Elite, alloy lock-on
- Bontrager Line Pro, 35 mm, Knock Block, 0-degree
- Knock Block Integrated, sealed cartridge bearing, 1-1/8" top, 1.5" bottom
- Shimano SLX M7120 4-piston hydraulic disc
- M - 13.55 kg / 29.88 lbs (with tubes)
- Weight limit
- This bike has a maximum total weight limit (combined weight of bicycle, rider and cargo) of 136 kg (300 lb).
Sizing & fit
Proper bike fit is essential for best performance and comfort. Any size and geometry measurements shown on trekbikes.com are for general comparison purposes only. To find your perfect fit, visit an authorised Trek retailer, where an expert skilled at sizing will help you find the appropriate bike and size for your individual needs.