Your local Bike Shop
Selling fun since 1982
Your Local Bike Shop
Selling Fun for 25 Years
Trek Rail 9.8 (2020) Matte Trek Black/Gloss Viper Red
Rail 9.8 is a long-travel carbon electric mountain bike that gets you to the fun stuff faster. It features an upgraded fork, drivetrain and dropper for exceptional performance on the gnarliest runs. This e-MTB feels and rides just like our rowdiest trail
Rail 9.8 is a long-travel carbon electric mountain bike that gets you to the fun stuff faster. It features an upgraded fork, drivetrain and dropper for exceptional performance on the gnarliest runs. This e-MTB feels and rides just like our rowdiest trail bikes, and it's built with the same trail-specific tech. The difference is that the powerful new Bosch drive system zips up climbs so you can spend less time grinding and more time getting rad.
It's right for you if...
You’re looking for a long-travel carbon e-MTB with high-performance parts. You crave the responsiveness of carbon, the plush feel of high-end suspension, and would rather get all the good stuff now than have to upgrade down the line.
The tech you get
A light and durable OCLV Mountain Carbon main frame with alloy stays that fully encases a 625 Wh battery for sleek looks and protection on the trail, a 160 mm RockShox Lyrik Select Plus fork with Charger 2 RC damper, 150 mm of rear travel with a RockShox Deluxe RT3 shock with Trek's RE:aktiv with Thru Shaft damper, a powerful new Bosch Performance Line CX 250 W motor that assists up to 25 km/h and a Purion controller. A 1x12 SRAM GX Eagle drivetrain, Bontrager Line Elite dropper post, Shimano SLX 4-piston brakes, a carbon handlebar and Bontrager Line Comp 30 29er wheels with Bontrager SE5 Team Issue tyres.
The final word
This bike features across-the-board upgrades that make it a seriously capable high-performance ripper. It's built for hammering gnarly descents, then flying right back up again thanks to the powerful Bosch drive system.
Why you'll love it
- The new, better-than-ever Bosch motor is smaller, lighter and more efficient. It feels more natural while you’re pedalling, and has less drag when you’re not
- Rail shreds just as hard as its non-electric brethren, plus it powers you right back up the mountain – no shuttle or lift necessary
- Trek's Removable Integrated Battery (RIB) system looks great and is super user-friendly: it fully hides the battery in the frame for protection, makes it easy remove the battery without tools and lets you mount a water bottle cage
- RE:aktiv with Thru Shaft works faster than a normal shock, so it tracks the ground better and keeps you in control
- Made with the same exclusive frame tech as Remedy and Slash, like Mino Link adjustable geometry, a Straight Shot down tube for extra stiffness and Active Braking Pivot (ABP)
New Bosch Performance Line CX
The all-new Bosch Performance Line CX motor is lighter, smaller and quieter than previous versions, for cleaner integration and more nimble handling. It’s also more efficient so you can go further on a single battery charge. Use the intelligent eMTB mode to automatically adjust the amount of assist to match the terrain. It’s a set-and-forget mode that delivers just the right amount of power so you can focus on enjoying the ride.
Removable Integrated Battery
RIB is a one-piece battery and cover with a built-in handle that can easily be removed and re-installed in the frame with no tools and no hassle. It’s the most convenient way to remove your battery for transport, security or just easier charging.
Sizing & fit
Proper bike fit is essential for best performance and comfort. Any size and geometry measurements shown on trekbikes.com.au are for general comparison purposes only. To find your perfect fit, visit an authorised Trek retailer, where an expert skilled at sizing will help you find the appropriate bike and size for your individual needs.